AI writing software has exploded in popularity and effectiveness over the last few years. Coming out of its novelty stage, AI writing has become mainstream, with hundreds of capable software solutions flooding the market and innovating in a space that didn’t exist a few years ago.
The AI writing assistant software market is expected to grow at a rate (CAGR) of 26.94% from 2023 to 2030, reaching a market size of $6.464 billion by 2030. – VerifiedMarketResearch.com
AI writers and assistants are not going anywhere, so it is best to research early on and find the best tools disrupting the writing industry. We will walk you through the best AI writing software on the market and highlight what each is best suited for.
How AI Can Help Your Writing Workflows
AI writing platforms provide various solutions, which makes sense considering all the different types of writing and writing tasks people encounter daily. For instance:
- There are copywriting AI tools to help your marketing strategy by generating high-quality content for marketing, product descriptions, and sales copy.
- There are AI tools for rewriting existing content so your content remains fresh and relevant.
- SEO AI tools can use Natural Language Processing (NPL) based on keywords to help create quality SEO content. All the best SEO tools already use AI to help with advanced SEO techniques.
- Story and creative writing software quickly generate innovative ideas and help write illustrative content.
- And there are proofreading AI tools (like Grammarly) that offer spelling and grammar checks and plagiarism checkers to ensure content is fit for publishing.
Suppose you’re someone in charge of writing or editing multiple types of content (brand, ads, long-form, stories, PR). In that case, you’ll probably benefit from having various AI writing assistants. With that in mind, let’s explore some of the best.
The Best AI Writing Tools
AI can speed up virtually any writing task. By selecting the right one, you should easily be able to increase your editorial output (no matter what type of content you create). We’ve done some un-bias research to show you the best AI Writing Apps you can choose from today. Take a look at these AI writing tools that can eliminate writer’s block and the fear of the blank page.
Rytr is an AI-powered writing platform with one of the largest footprints of all AI writing tools on the market. It’s an all-purpose AI tool that is handy for any diversified marketer. It has copywriting frameworks, templates for blog writing, and use cases for creating product descriptions. You will never write quite the same again after using this.
Rytr uses AI technology to create high-quality content quickly and easily. Users can generate content for various applications and industries, including marketing, eCommerce, and more. The easy-to-use interface makes it easy to start, even for users without previous AI writing (or writing!) experience. They’ve also launched Rytr Chat, which allows human writers to write prompt-based commands to generate specific content that can be easily added to its long-form editor.
Key Features of Rytr:
- AI-generated content with support for over 30 languages
- 40+ templates and use cases that eliminate the need for writing detailed prompts
- Easy-to-use interface with a long-form editor and dark mode
- Chrome extension that brings the power of AI to your favorite apps like the WordPress editor and emails
- Semrush integration to get accurate keyword research suggestions when using Blog Idea and Blog Outline templates
With over 5.5 million writers using Rytr, it’s hard to imagine someone who wouldn’t benefit from its AI writing platform. If you’ve never used an AI tool, this is one to start with—free plans are available, and it has the cheapest paid plan out of all the tools on this list. It’s the perfect tool for anyone looking to have AI improve their writing productivity. Whether you’re a freelancer, small business owner, or part of a larger team, Rytr is an essential tool for any writer looking to boost their efficiency and streamline their workflow.
Pricing: Free plan available with its starter plan at as little as $9/mo!
Jasper is another wildly popular AI writing platform (originally called Jarvis). It is home to some of the most powerful AI tools for writing long-format content, SEO content, blog posts, sales emails, and more. It also provides training, courses, and conferences around its feature set that get a lot of traction among AI users. Jasper is probably among the more respected brands known for constantly iterating on their world-class AI solutions.
Jasper’s built for the more extensive operations among us. Generative content produced by Jasper is high quality, with plenty of tools that make the whole platform sparkle.
Key Features of Jasper:
- Integrates with other powerful tools like Surfer SEO, Chrome extension, and Grammarly
- Incredible documentation, support, and training made by the company
- AI-generated art included with each plan
- “Boss Mode” and business plans for greater output and collaboration across teams
- It has access to the internet, so it can write on news that happened this morning
Jasper is best for businesses that need to automate various internal functions (like marketing, sales, support, and more). It’s relatively expensive, but you pay for its quality and editing workflow.
Pricing: Starting at $59/mo with a limited free trial
Sudowrite is an AI writing software built exclusively for stories and all content that uses even a little storytelling. It does not have the recipes/templates that some other platforms have but instead focuses more on a writing workflow than the parts and pieces of a particular work.
Sudowrite gives you a draft, suggestions, editing advice, and more tailored toward creative and descriptive writing. While most other AI writing software focuses on business use cases and blogs, Sudowrite goes against the grain and offers something truly unique.
Key Features of Sudowrite:
- “First draft” takes a simple prompt and turns it into 1000 words
- It gives auto-complete, styled suggestions in a toolbar that are easy to add and relevant to your context
- Use “Describe” to add more captivating language and “Expand” that adds natural content to slow the pace of sections of writing
Sudowrite is best for creative professionals in branding and PR. It is also meant for storytellers of all kinds (poems, books, scripts) and delivers.
Pricing: Starting at $19/mo for 30,000 words
WordHero is another all-purpose AI writing tool particularly suited for business purposes. Launching on AppSumo with a lifetime deal with unlimited words, it’s quickly come into its own.
WordHero best suits on-the-fly content generation that you’d paste into a Word document, Slack channel, or marketing campaign. Its long-form editor works well but could benefit from better UX and file organization.
There’s a dedicated and loyal user base that uses WordHero and constantly suggests improvements that the team takes into consideration. So it is likely the platform will continue to improve.
Key Features of WordHero:
- Template-based AI outputs that can be attached to its long-form editor or give on-the-spot outputs
- Better than Rytr at generating blog introductions and conclusions
- Generate unlimited content (subject to their fair use policy)
- It supports over a hundred languages tying it for first on our list
Like Rytr and others on this list, WordHero is best for those in business or marketing. It creates excellent blog section content and does a good job with copywriting frameworks and product descriptions. It does not currently have advanced integrations, so it’s ideal if this is the only AI writing tool you expect to use in your workflow.
Pricing: Starting at $49/mo
5. Article Forge
Article Forge is an AI writing software built for long-form content creation. Put in a keyword, select some basic parameters like length, and Article Forge will forge ahead with a fresh piece of generated content.
Article Forge’s power comes from its ability to create a lot of content simultaneously. That is also its sticking point which places more responsibility on humans to read, edit, and substantiate what the AI-generated. However, it’s a refreshing change of pace from other AI tools that build content sections at a time until you’re done.
Key Features of Article Forge:
- Generate high-quality, long-form content with a single click
- Built-in SEO optimization
- Ability to add negative or excluded topics that Article Forge will attempt not to use
- Automatically creates content and content headings that naturally flow
- Content guaranteed to pass copy-scape
Article Forge is best for more extensive content operations that want to increase their editorial output dramatically. Great for creating supporting content (clusters) in quick succession. It still takes work to edit and fact-check the output correctly. It also scores high marks on all major review sites, which tells us they are doing something right.
Pricing: Starting as low as $27/mo
ClosersCopy is one of the more celebrated general-purpose and marketing AI content writers on the market. It specializes in sales and marketing copy but is also very good for blog content using its long-form editor.
ClosersCopy’s ability to create and share frameworks means that there are even more possibilities and use cases for using AI to write niche content. Frameworks specially train ClosersCopy AI to do a particular writing task (such as AIDA copywriting or creating a product description). Most AI writing software limits users to the frameworks (often called use cases or recipes) to what is officially released by the platform. ClosersCopy gives users control over sharing their best frameworks that others can benefit from. It has put together its AI tools into a unique pricing model that many will find compelling.
Key Features of ClosersCopy:
- 700+ Frameworks (includes community-submitted Frameworks)
- NPL-guided SEO insights inside the text editor (pulls from live search results)
- Workflows string together ClosersCopy Frameworks into one generative output (ex., Blog Title -> Blog Outline -> Blog Introduction -> Blog Conclusion, all in a single Workflow)
ClosersCopy is best for salespeople and marketers that need high-quality sales copy. Blog writers and affiliate marketers also benefit significantly from this software. For those looking for a more affordable option, Rytr has fewer features but a much cheaper rate.
Pricing: Starting at $49.99/mo
Copy.ai is a prevalent (over 6 million users) AI content generator specially tailored to writing AI blog content, social media posts, and email marketing copy.
It offers innovative integrations and tools for sales and marketing professionals. This can dramatically increase an individual’s or team’s output with the help of AI for specific tasks. Its API for Linkedin, for example, can pull prospect info from a CRM or their Linkedin profile to help create a tailored cold-outreach message that is personalized and written with copywriting principles.
Key Features of Copy.ai:
- API connects with CRMs, LinkedIn, and other sales/marketing tools for uber-effective cold outreach
- Chat by Copy.ai is a ChatGPT-like chat interface that is optimized for sales and marketing tasks and includes a prompt library
- Pricing bases output on the number of AI generations instead of word or character count and gives you multiple generations per output, making it stand out from many AI writers
Copy.ai is best for salespeople and marketers whether or not they work on a team. Teams stand to benefit from its Pro plan, which includes unlimited words, unlimited projects, and up to five user seats.
Pricing: Free plan with Pro starting at $49/mo
Frase.io is a powerful AI writing tool that can help you with all aspects of your content creation process. It can help you create high-quality content that will engage and inform your readers, from researching topics to writing and editing your content. Whether you’re a blogger, a content marketer, or just someone who wants to write better content, Frase.io can help you take your content to the next level.
With Frase’s advanced AI technology, businesses can create high-quality content quickly and easily. Additionally, the advanced SEO tools ensure that the content is optimized for search engines. Frase analyzes published content and provides actionable, AI-generated next steps that save valuable time.
Key Features of Frase:
- Create content briefs from SERP research in just “6 seconds” (and create content brief templates for the types of content you produce most)
- The long-form editor that lets you write content or have AI take over at any point
- Optimize your content for SEO using topic model NPL
- Track the performance of content using a Google Search Console (GSC) integration to find content decay (and fix it before it becomes a problem)
Frase.io is ideal for content marketers or teams who need their content to rank well in organic search. With GSC integration included in every plan, Frase is particularly useful for large content sites that rely on content decay warnings without manually checking each post every quarter.
Pricing: Starts at $14.99/mo with Pro add-on for any plan being $35/mo extra
Writesonic is an AI writing software that packs a lot of features into its platform. Its free plan gives 10,000-word access to its optimized GPT 3.5 platform, while its paid plans can be powered by GPT 4. Writesonic also has innovative products like Photosonic and ChatSonic that bring even more AI-powered tools to its customers.
Writesonic’s advanced AI technology allows users to generate high-quality written content quickly and easily. The platform also includes various advanced editing tools, enabling users to fine-tune their content perfectly.
Key Features of Writesonic:
- AI copywriting tools for creating blog posts, landing pages, and more with 100+ templates
- Collaborative editor (SonicEditor) that lets multiple team members jump in and spruce up a text
- The landing page copy generator can also code out static landing pages along with the copy
- Integrates with Surfer SEO and Zapier
- All plans have access to ChatSonic, a GPT-4-styled chat solution with access to current trending topics (not just GPT-4 training data)
Writesonic is a comprehensive platform for marketers and content writers with AI tools for several writing tasks. Its fast pace of innovation means that any user needing generative AI content, images, or chat interfaces would likely benefit from the platform. It’s one of the better all-purpose AI writing websites with a free plan.
Pricing: Free plan with paid plans starting at $19/mo (30% discount for students and non-profits)
10. Surfer SEO
Surfer SEO is the premier writing AI that can help you rank #1 on Google. It does this by analyzing the top-ranking pages for your target keywords and then providing you with suggestions on how to optimize your content. This can save you a lot of time and effort and help you improve your chances of ranking higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). You may have noticed how many other AI writers integrate directly with Surfer—that’s a testament to what Surfer SEO can do for you and your websites.
Surfer SEO’s advanced AI technology allows businesses to optimize their online content for search engines quickly and easily. The platform includes various advanced SEO analysis tools, content optimization recommendations, and competitor analysis tools to help businesses improve their online presence.
Key Features of Surfer SEO:
- Create a content brief and outline based on already top-ranking SERP results
- It gives you a content score based on SERP analysis, natural language processing, word count, # of images, and other key ranking factors
- Plagiarism checker helps your site avoid ranking penalties that can sink the party before you arrive
- Integrates with many top AI Writing Software (like Jasper, Rytr, and Writesonic) as well as Google Docs, Semrush, and WordPress
- Grow Flow connects with GSC and acts as a content manager—handing out tasks and suggestions so your content quietly surfs to the top of the SERPs
Surfer SEO, right now, is the go-to AI and NPL tool for SEO content writing. Likely, you want to pair Surfer with an advanced AI writer like Jasper or Rytr. Surfer SEO is the perfect companion for these fantastic tools and helps keep your AI content in the good graces of Google and other search engines.
Scalenut is another world-class AI writing assistance created explicitly for SEO and content marketing. It does this by analyzing the top-ranking pages for your target keywords and then providing you with suggestions on how to optimize your content. It can do this for one article or an entire cluster for a full-fledged content strategy that builds topical authority.
Using Scalenut, businesses can automate their entire content lifecycle to streamline planning, keyword research, writing, and optimization. This is great for reducing the workload on human staff and improving overall efficiency while not replacing your team.
Key Features of Scalenut:
- Builds content strategies and keyword clusters using fast AI
- Analyzes audience search intent and competitor articles in SERPs to find the best plan for each piece
- AI-guided writing with real-time optimization, SERP stats, and content scoring
- 40+ Marketing task templates for creating product descriptions to newsletter emails
Scalenut is there for businesses looking to rapidly create content at scale to build topical authority and start winning in the SERPs. Lower pricing for SEO content than Surfer SEO, though with fewer integrations. It can be used by itself since it has plenty of AI content creation capabilities.
Pricing: Essential plan starting at $39/mo for 100,000 AI-generated words
INK is an AI writing tool that can help you create high-quality content in minutes. Any paid plan allows the generation of unlimited words and images, making it an exciting platform to try out.
INK’s Content Sheild adds a lot of protection so that you can use AI responsibly without wreaking havoc by garnering penalties on your content. It scans unlimited content, finds plagiarism, and detects if common technologies will likely mark the content as written by AI. Performing these checks gives you even more peace of mind as you schedule or hit publish on your Ink-guided content.
Key Features of INK:
- Content Sheild protects website reputations by making sure content is plagiarism free and likely to pass “Written by AI” detection
- Create AI-generated images (512×512) based on text-based prompts to create visuals that match your content for less than stock image prices
- Keyword research pulls search volume, trend, and CPC data into the platform to help you create data-backed clusters and individual pages
INK is best for individuals and businesses needing unlimited content generation through 130+ marketing templates, a long-form editor, or fast paraphrasing. It’s also of great value with the addition of data-informed SEO tools and a plagiarism detector, and it generates AI images and written content.
Pricing: Starting at $49/mo
WriterZen is a powerful AI-based SEO writing tool that stands out from many other platforms because of its data-based approach. Anyone creating SEO content for websites, landing pages, and authoritative blogs should consider adding WriterZen to their workflow.
WriterZen’s AI-informed workflow helps you create content that enables you to score valuable organic traffic. Based on SERP data, WriterZen scores keywords on its “Keyword Golden Score” metric, which shows you the best ratio of keyword competition, traffic, CPC, and ranking difficulty. SEO-informed content gets a degree easier with WriterZen.
Key Features of WriterZen:
- Finds high-traffic/low-competition keywords to write content for
- Create content outlines based on other top search results using advanced NPL analysis
- Finds relevant keyword clusters to use from Google Keyword data and Google Suggest Database
- Plagiarism and originality detection so you can be confident in the content you push to your sites
WriterZen is built for content teams and websites pushing out a lot of SEO-optimized content. Bringing SEO tools into a writing platform speeds up content creation. It reduces the work of SEO analysis of content (though it doesn’t replace the need for skilled search specialists and SEO strategies).
Pricing: Starting at $23/mo
What is the Best AI Writing Software?
AI writing tools are rapidly evolving, with many tools specializing in specific purposes.
|Tool||Languages||Templates||Models||Starting Price||Free Plan||Updated 3/31/23|
|1||Rytr||30+||40+, Long form editor||GPT 3.5 + Proprietary||$9/mo||✔️ Yes||Visit|
|2||Jasper||29+||50+, Long form editor||GPT 3.5** + Others||$59/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|3||SudoWrite||30+||Long form editor||GPT 3 + Proprietary||$19/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|4||WordHero||100+||70+, Long form editor||GPT 3.5** + Proprietary||$89/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|5||Article Forge||20||Long form editor||Proprietary Only||$27/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|6||ClosersCopy||100+||50+, Long form editor||Proprietary + GPT 3.5||$49.99/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|7||Copy.ai||27+||90+, Long form editor||GPT 3*||$49/mo||✔️ Yes||Visit|
|8||Frase||19||13, Long form editor||Proprietary Only||$14.99/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|9||Writesonic||24||100+, Long form editor||GPT 3.5 + Proprietary + GPT 4*||$19/mo||✔️ Yes||Visit|
|10||Surfer SEO||4||Long form editor, SEO Analyzer||Surfer NLP||$59/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|11||Scalenut||English||40+, Long form editor, SEO Analyzer||GPT 3 + Scalenut NPL||$39/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|12||INK||20+||130+, Long form editor||GPT 3||$49/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|13||WriterZen||46||60+, Long form editor, SEO Analyzer||GPT 3||$23/mo||❌ Trial||Visit|
|*GPT 4 only used in certain use-cases
**GPT 4 planned usage
Rytr is an excellent starting point for those looking for a budget-friendly, all-purpose AI writer. Jasper (with Boss Mode) and Article Forge are worth considering if you need to produce long-format writing. For creative writing, Sudowrite is the standout tool. We’d also be remiss if we didn’t say that Surfer SEO is one of the best companions for an AI writer, and if your writer has an integration, definitely consider getting it.
Are you looking for more amazing suggestions about the best business and marketing tools? Please take a look at all of our guides on the best software and tools.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Before we wrap up, let’s answer some of your most commonly asked questions regarding AI writing software. Did we miss one? Leave a comment below and we’ll reply!
What is the best AI writing software?
What is the best free AI writing tool?
Featured Image via BestForBest / shutterstock.com