Congratulations! Your website designed by Unity Tenth is done and it’s ready for launch. There are a couple of things that you should do when you first get your website to ensure that you get the best out of your website.
In this post, I will show you what you need to do to get started with your website.
What you will learn…
Here’s a rundown of what we will be going over in this tutorial. In this post, you will be shown how to:
- Claim ownership of your domain.
- Claim ownership of your hosting.
- Claim ownership of your website.
- How to get support.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
STEP 1: Claim ownership of your domain.
Your plan comes with a complimentary domain registered at GoDaddy. Regardless of whether you or Unity Tenth is taking care of the costs of the domain, you will need to create a GoDaddy account. Then, invite us to manage your account. This is in case we need to update your domain records. Also, this is so we can connect your domain to your website so people can find you easier.
If you already have your domain registered with GoDaddy, then you can skip to step 1.2 to learn how to invite Unity Tenth on to your account to manage it.
STEP 1.1: Create a GoDaddy account.
- The first thing you need to do is to create your free GoDaddy account. In your web browser’s address bar, type in “godaddy.com” and press “enter” on your keyboard.
- On the GoDaddy website, click on “Sign in”
- Click on “Create my account”
- Fill out the form and then click on “Create Account”.
- You might be prompted to check your email to verify your account, but other than that, you’re done! You can now proceed on the next part of step one.
STEP 1.2: Invite Unity Tenth to your GoDaddy Account.
- Log into your GoDaddy account. If you’ve completed the previous step, then you should already be logged in.
- Click on “Account Settings”
- Click on “Delegate Access”
- Under “People who can access my account”, click on “Invite to Access”
- Fill out the form. In the “name” field you can type “Unity
Tenth”. In the “email” field type email@example.com. Finally, under “Access level requested”, you
can either choose “Products, Domains, & Purchase” or “Domains Only”.
- Choose “Products, Domains, & Purchase” if you want to give Unity Tenth the ability to manage your domain and make purchasing decisions on your behalf. Unity Tenth won’t be able to see or change your billing information. Also, it’s Unity Tenth’s policy to not make purchases without your consent.
- Choose “Domains Only” to grant us access to manage only your domains. But, I won’t be able to make purchasing decisions for you.
- Click on “Invite” when you’re done. And that’s it! Now let’s move on to step 2.
STEP 2: Claim ownership of your hosting
Your website is hosted on Flywheel’s servers which are incredibly secure and made specifically for WordPress sites. You also get excellent customer service from them. That means, you won’t get a bunch of jargon-speak or technobabble
The reason why you want to claim ownership of the domain is so that we can ensure that your hosting stays up at all times. Also, as your website grows, so will the space that it takes up. To save you money, you’ve been signed up for their “Tiny” plan which is great for starting off, which I hope you will outgrow in about 3 years.
Also, you might find out that your budged can’t handle the costs of hosting, so you might need to find a more affordable hosting provider. Claiming ownership will give you the power to move your hosting away from Flywheel or to upgrade it to a plan with more space for your website. Here’s how you can claim ownership of your hosting.
STEP 2.1: Create a Flywheel account
- The first thing you need to do is create a free Flywheel account. You can do this either one of 2 ways.
- From your website’s dashboard, click on the “Claim Flywheel Hosting” link. The link is an affiliate link. Unity Tenth will get a small fee if you purchase anything through the link. The fee goes towards keeping our services to help you grow more low.
- You can also type “getflywheel.com” your web browser’s address bar and press “enter” on your keyboard.
- Click on the “sign up” button.
- Fill out the form and press the “sign up” button below. Pay close attention to the email that you used to create your account.
- You might be prompted to check your email to verify your account, but other than that, you’re done! You can now proceed on the next part of step two.
STEP 2.2: Tell Unity Tenth to add you as a collaborator on Flywheel.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Flywheel collaboration”. In the body of the email, type the email address that you used to set up your Flywheel account.
- In about 24 to 48 hours, check your email for an invitation from Flywheel. The email will come from email@example.com. It will have in the subject “You’ve been invited to collaborate on..” with the name of your website. Click on “Begin Collaborating” to accept the invitation.
- If you don’t see this invitation within 24 to 48 hours, check your inbox’s “Spam” or “Bulk” folders. If you still don’t see it, please open a support ticket in your Growth Center Account Dashboard at UnityTenth.com.
- That’s all that you need to do! Now you need to claim ownership of your website to ensure that you get notifications.
STEP 3: Claim ownership of your website.
Now that you have a website, you want to make sure that you get notified whenever some one leaves you a comment, fills out a form, makes a payment on your website, or whatever. The easiest way to do this is to change the administrator’s email on the website.
WordPress will use this default email to send notifications of things happening on your website. Here’s how you configure this.
- Log into your website’s admin dashboard by typing in your web browser’s address bar your website’s domain name, followed by “slash-w-p-dash-admin”. So, for example, if your website can be found by going to “abccompany.com”. You would type “abccompany.com/wp-admin”, then press enter.
- Your username will be the email address on your Unity Tenth invoice. But, you don’t know your password. Below the box, click on the “Lost Your Password” link.
- Put your email address from your Unity Tenth invoice in the field and press “get new password”
- Check your email address for an email from “your company”. Or it will come from “WordPress”. Either way, check the email for your new password. Go back to your website’s admin dashboard login screen and type your username email and your new password. You’d might want to copy and paste it into the password field. Then click “Log In.”
- When you’re in the admin dashboard, scroll to the bottom and hover over “Settings”
- Click on “General” in the flyout menu.
- In the email address field, put in your email address. While, you’re at it, make sure that all of the other general settings on the page are correct and change them as necessary.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on “Save Changes.”
- You aren’t done yet! Check your email inbox for another email from your website asking you to confirm the email change. Click on the link in the email, and you’ll be all set!
- Now you’re ready for the final step, learning how to get help.
STEP 4: How to Get Support
You’re website is all new, but now I’m sure you have a ton of questions. Sometimes, things might not be exactly what you thought they were going to be. Or you might have questions on how to perform basic operations on your website or your Unity Tenth account. There are a couple of resources you can use to get more help.
- For the next 30 days, you have access to your Growth Center Account Dashboard, where you can submit free support tickets. In your account dashboard:
- Click on “Support Tickets”
- Complete the form and hit “send ticket”
- Check either your email or come back to the dashboard for a reply to your ticket. You can reply directly to the ticket from your email or from your dashboard.
- Also, if you’re a Full Service client, you will not loose access to this portal. So, enjoy it! If not, you’ll see an expiration date in your website’s dashboard and your client dashboard.
- On the Unity Tenth website, you’ll also find an FAQ section for general answers to some questions. You can find that under the “about” tab.
- You can also open tickets in the Unity Tenth Marketplace after your 30 days are up. From your website’s dashboard, you can click on “Open A Support Ticket” to visit the support marketplace. During your 30 days, you can use the promo code below this video to get free support through the marketplace.
- Finally, a great resource I would recommend to answer your WordPress questions it WPBeginner.com. They explain things in easy terms and cover a lot of the basics about the platform. They also have free video tutorials you can watch as well.
- Speaking of video tutorials, during your 30 days, if you want training on how to do the most basic things, please feel free to submit a support ticket. We’ll do a video conference where you’ll get 1-on-1 training. You can also invite other people who might help you manage the site to watch.
- Finally, you can check out the videos in your website’s dashboard. You’ll get tutorials on how to do the most essential operations for your website. Just keep checking back for new videos related to your website.
On behalf of Unity Tenth, I hope this getting started tutorial has helped you answer some questions and will put you in the best position to get the most out of your website. If you have any questions, we’re just a support ticket away. May you continue to Grow More!